This information is intended for general educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice. First Choice Solutions does not provide or refer for birth control.
Hormonal birth control, such as implants, shots and tablets are commonly prescribed. However, they are not 100% reliable to prevent pregnancy, and many present negative side effects.
Just a few of the side effects of hormonal contraceptives include:
- loss of libido
- changes in weight or appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- mood changes, including depression
- gastrointestinal symptoms (pain, cramps, bloating)
- vaginal spotting
- vaginitis (vaginal infection)
- vitamin deficiencies
- vision impairment
Many studies show increased risk of cancer and increased risk of blood clots resulting from the use of hormonal contraceptives.
Thousands of lawsuits have been filed in recent years against manufacturers of various birth control pills for serious health complications such as:
- Heart attack
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in legs)
- Pulmonary embolism (blockages in the lungs)
- Gallbladder disease.
Many IUDs (intrauterine devices) have a hormonal contraceptive component as well. In addition to the hormonal side effects, IUDs can also increase risk of:
- Ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Abnormal bleeding
- Displacement of the device, which can lead to serious complications.
Click here to learn about Fertility Awareness-Based Methods as a natural alternative to birth control.
Source: “Birth Control Side Effects.” Natural Womanhood, https://naturalwomanhood.org/learn/problems-with-contraceptives/. Accessed 6/22/2020.